[ghc-steering-committee] Underscores in numbers proposal

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 22:51:46 UTC 2017

I am fine with this.  Related to our recent discussion: we should probably
require that this be protected by a language extension, like all other
literal notations.  Perhaps `UnderscoreLiterals`?

-Iavor

PS:  technically, this is not backward compatible :-)  Here is an example:

    instance Num b => Num (a -> b) where
      fromInteger = const . fromInteger

    test :: Integer
    test = 1_1
      where _1 = 2

Currently this evaluates to 1, but with the extension it will evaluate to
11.  I don't think that any real code would be affected by this, I just had
a bit of fun writing it.