[ghc-steering-committee] Please review: deriving for empty, Shepherd: Iavor Diatchki

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Thu Aug 17 16:47:01 UTC 2017

I'd tend to agree that we should strictly respect the standard,
eschewing "benign" augmentations. Part of my discomfort with this is
my experience talking to programmers who hand-waved effects in general
as benign. Without a formal definition of benign such as exists in the
Semantic Versioning standard I'd just as soon not add something like
this without putting it behind an extension.

I'm a soft +1 on the proposal as an extension.

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Richard Eisenberg <rae at cs.brynmawr.edu> wrote:

>> On Aug 16, 2017, at 6:11 PM, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
>>
>> that touches on a more fundamental question: How strict do we want to
>> be with the “every divergence from the standard requires an extension”
>> rule.
>
> I think this is a great question to ask, but I would want more community feedback on this point than just us in the committee. My stance is that, absent this discussion, we should stay quite strict on that rule.
>
> (In the discussion, I would argue that adherence to the standard is less necessary.)
>
> Richard

Chris Allen
Currently working on http://haskellbook.com