GHC Steering Committee Call for Nominations

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Sun Jan 28 09:58:45 UTC 2024

Dear Haskellers,

The GHC Steering Committee is seeking nominations for new members.

The committee scrutinizes, debates and eventually decides to accept or
reject proposals to change the language or major features supported by
GHC. Our processes are described in the GitHub repository where
proposals are submitted
(https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals). In particular, please
have a look at the committee bylaws
(https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/committee.rst).

We are looking for members who have the ability to:

  - understand GHC proposals (e.g. for new language extensions),
  - find holes and missing corner cases in the specifications,
  - foresee the interaction with other language or compiler features,
  - comment constructively and improve proposals through engagement with
others,
  - judge the cost/benefit ratio of changes, and
  - come to a justifiable conclusion.

Ideally, committee members should:

  - have substantial experience of writing or teaching Haskell;
  - have a track record of active contributions to the Haskell community; or
  - have expertise in language design and implementation, in either
Haskell or related languages.

It is our aim that this committee be diverse; by representing different
viewpoints, we will make decisions that benefit larger segments of our
community. Even if you are uncertain whether your background qualifies
you for the role, you are warmly encouraged to apply.

The committee's work requires a small, but non-trivial amount of time,
especially when you are assigned a proposal for shepherding. We estimate
the workload to be around 2 hours per week, and our process works best
if members usually respond to technical emails within 1-2 weeks (within
days is even better). Please keep that in mind if your email inbox is
already overflowing.

To nominate yourself, please send an email to me (as the committee
secretary) at adam at well-typed.com by February 16th 2024, briefly
summarising your background and relevant experience. I will distribute
the nominations among the committee, and we will keep the nominations
and our deliberations private.

Self-nominations are the norm. You can nominate someone else, but please
obtain their explicit consent to do so. (We don't want to choose someone
who turns out to be unable to serve.)

On behalf of the committee,

Adam Gundry

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England