PMC: addConCt and newtypes bottom info

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 18:53:39 UTC 2023

Hi Rodrigo,

Happy to see that you resumed your work on the pattern-match checker.
I think you are right; we could reasonably just go with your code, not
least because it is less confusing to retain as much info about `x` as
possible.
I don't think it makes a difference, because whenever we add a
constraint `x ≁ ⊥` afterwards, we call `addNotBotCt` which will
interpret this constraint as `y ≁ ⊥` via `lookupVarInfoNT`, and we have
accurate BotInfo for `y`.
Basically whenever we have seen `x ~ T y`, `T` Newtype, we will never
look at `BotInfo` of `x` again. I thought it might become relevant in
`generateInhabitingPatterns` for warning messages, but there we eagerly
instantiate through NTs anyway.

So by all means, open an MR for your change. Good work!

Sebastian