Reinstallable - base

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Fri Oct 20 20:23:36 UTC 2023

Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> writes:

> # Phase 2: Template Haskell
>
> The above story is made considerably messier by `template-haskell`.

One further clarification as I fear this may be unclear:

Phase 2 does *not* allow multiple versions of `template-haskell` to
be used with a single GHC. That is, each GHC version will have precisely
one corresponding `template-haskell` version; consequently, programs
using TemplateHaskell's combinator's will still need to adapt to new
`template-haskell` releases when moving to a new GHC.

Phase 3 describes how we could eliminate this need by allowing multiple
`template-haskell` versions to be used with a single GHC release.