Trouble building GHC

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Wed May 31 07:13:03 UTC 2023

Hi Lyle,

I'm sorry that you have so much trouble in getting your first build done.
The Classes.hi issue sounds like something I had experienced in the past,
but I'm not having it at the moment.
Are you also using symlinks by any chance? Then it is very likely that you
have been bitten by https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/22451, the
workaround to which would be to do something like `cd "$(readlink -f .)"`
before you start your build.

Regarding your second issue using ghc.nix, a quick google turned up
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/20429#note_379762.
Is it possible that you didn't start from a clean build?
E.g., at the least you should `rm -rf _build` (note that `hadrian/cabal
clean` sadly is insufficient IIRC for reasons I don't recall).
I often simply do `git clean -fxd` to be extra sure.
After that, you'll have to boot, configure (including passing
$CONFIGURE_ARGS) and build again.
By the way, are you using ZSH? I'm using it and I have to pass the
CONFIGURE_ARGS in a slightly different way
<https://github.com/alpmestan/ghc.nix#building-ghc>: `./configure
${=CONFIGURE_ARGS}`.

I also updated
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/building/preparation/linux#nixnixos
to account for new-style flakified builds+direnv, if that's a workflow that
you are familiar with.

Hope that helps,
Sebastian