Minutes of Sunday's meeting of the "Staged Working Group"

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:26:38 UTC 2023

Hi GHC devs,

On Sunday I realised that there were many different people around at
ZuriHac that are very knowledgeable about staged metaprogramming and
macro systems (outside GHC, even).
I really want a good staged metaprogramming story in Haskell (but don't
know much about it or what I could contribute), and so I called everyone
into a very spontaneous meeting, dubbed the "Staged Working Group".
The purpose of the whole meeting was rather nebulous (staged, even); the
only goal for me was to throw involved people in one room to have a
focussed discussion (rather than lumping together with a subset of the
people and then dissolving in the hall way) and to talk about different
efforts in the community.
In the end, I think we got a lot clearer picture about the challenges
involved.

We are very fortunate that Ben has kept minutes with useful pointers:
https://edit.smart-cactus.org/u__IGA1bTd2DpulYmlnxaw

Note that I don't intend to hold regular meetings or something of the
sort; it was essentially a one time thing (but perhaps we'll have a 2.0
meeting at next year's ZuriHac).
We loosely agreed to keep everyone posted on ongoing efforts in the
direction of staged metaprogramming (and macros) by writing short status
reports to this mailing list.

Thanks to everyone who is involved in improving (Typed) Template Haskell
and who was there on Sunday!
Sebastian