Request for account approval for GHC non-moving GC bug reporting

Christian Berentsen (chrberen) chrberen at cisco.com
Fri Aug 4 06:05:55 UTC 2023

I was unfortunately not able to get signed in to report the bug. Something messed up with the browser storing the gitlab login password, and after using the "forgot password" I couldn't find the follow up email anywhere (including spam)

Maybe something messed up with my mixing the work email for the mailing list and my personal for gitlab, causing the gitlab account to not be in the proper approval state?

I can add some additional info about the bug event:
This was running on a shared cluster where IT identified there were a lot of unrelated zombie processes, so the "Resource temporarily unavailable" result was probably real.

I'd expect this context to lower the severity of this bug. But anyway, this may possibly trigger in OS environments with resource constraints or bumping into syslimits.

--
Christian

On 03/08/2023, 15:58, "Ben Gamari" <ben at smart-cactus.org> wrote:

    "Christian Berentsen \(chrberen\) via ghc-devs" <ghc-devs at haskell.org>
    writes:

    > We may have encountered a bug in the non-moving GC runtime, triggering:
    >
    > congregat-exe: internal error: nonmovingCollect: failed to spawn mark thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
    >     (GHC version 9.2.6 for x86_64_unknown_linux)
    >     Please report this as a GHC bug: https://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
    >
    > Need account approval for jc.berentsen at gmail.com to report, if this is not a duplicate

    Very interesting; thanks in advance for your ticket and apologies for
    the inconvenience in registering!

    Cheers,

    - Ben