GHC 9.6.1 rejects previously working code

Rodrigo Mesquita rodrigo.m.mesquita at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 09:30:50 UTC 2023

Indeed, this is included in the GHC 9.6.x Migration Guide <https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/migration/9.6#transformers-06-new-monadtrans-quantified-context>.

Unfortunately, I’m also not sure there is a solution for this particular where (T m) is only a Monad if m instances MonadIO.
As Tom explained, under transformers 0.6 `T` no longer is a monad transformer.

A few workarounds I can think of:

- No longer instance `MonadTrans T`, and use a instance `MonadIO m => MonadIO (T m)` instead.
  Rationale: if you always require `m` to be `MonadIO`, perhaps the ability to always lift an `m` to `T m` with `liftIO` is sufficient.

- Add the `MonadIO` instance to the `m` field of `T`, GADT style, `data T m a where T :: MonadIO m => m -> T m a`
  Rational: You would no longer need `MonadIO` in the `Monad` instance, which will make it possible to instance `MonadTrans`.

- Redefine your own `lift` regardless of `MonadTrans`

Good luck!
Rodrigo