"Modularizing GHC" paper

Eric Crockett ecrockett0 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 14:33:57 UTC 2022

I am very happy to see this paper. It was an enjoyable read, and accessible
to non-experts such as myself. I appreciated the effort spent on research,
and was even happier to see that you have started implementing these
suggestions and have a plan going forward. Technical debt is a hard thing
to overcome, especially in the face of a rapidly evolving language.

This paper resonates with me as both a user and one-time (as in a single
time🙂) developer of GHC. As a user, I’ve run into issues related to the
debts you discuss. I also tried to fix a GHC bug, and remember being
overwhelmed by DynFlags.

I applaud your efforts. Thank you for this service to the Haskell community.

Eric Crockett