instance {Semigroup, Monoid} (Bag a) ?

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Thu Apr 15 00:17:22 UTC 2021

Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 06:26:38PM +0000, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> In the work on simplifying the error-message infrastructure (heavy
>> lifting by Alfredo, in cc), I've been tempted (twice!) to add
>>
>> > instance Semigroup (Bag a) where
>> >   (<>) = unionBags
>> >
>> > instance Monoid (Bag a) where
>> >   mempty = emptyBag
>>
>> to GHC.Data.Bag.
>
> I agree that the new Monoid is appropriate.
>
>> The downside to writing these is that users might be tempted to write
>> e.g. mempty instead of emptyBag, while the latter gives more
>> information to readers and induces less manual type inference (to a
>> human reader). The upside is that it means Bags work well with
>> Monoid-oriented functions, like foldMap.
>
> I don't see the possibility of writing `mempty` as an issue.  I find
> myself not infrequently writing `mempty` for, e.g., empty ByteStrings,
> rather than ByteString.empty, because while there are lots of
> type-specific "empties", they often need to be used qualified, while the
> polymorphic `mempty` is both clear and flexible.

I think the "clear" is where some might disagree. It has been argued in
the past (fairly convincingly, in my opinion) that there is value in
being explicit what concrete type an expression has. Afterall,
understanding GHC is already hard enough; there's no reason to make
it harder by forcing the reader to do type inference. This is why GHC has
historically preferred concrete interfaces to using things like mempty.

Cheers,

- Ben