Reviews

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 11:27:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> |  > When submitting a review, I often want to add an overall comment, not
> |  related to  a particular line of code?  How do I do that?
> |
> |  I do that by going back to the "Discussion" tab and adding something at the
> |  bottom.
>
> But alas then it does not form part of the review, landing as a single email. It becomes a separate, disconnected comment.

As far as I can tell, Gitlab doesn't really have a concept of a
review, it's just big pile of disconnected comments... or rather,
they're just all connected to the MR.  But there's no concept of a
"review cycle" except by what you impose by convention.  At work, we
simulate it with assigning to author and reviewer, and the reviewer
signs off by resolving all comments.  Gitlab supports this a bit, it
can prevent you from merging until all comments are resolved, and that
includes the unconnected "discussion" ones.