ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track - Request for Contributions

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Tue May 22 10:07:34 UTC 2018

On 08/04/2018 15.01, Michal Terepeta wrote:
> I'd be happy to help. :) I know a bit about the backend (e.g., cmm level), but it might be tricky to find there some smaller/self-contained projects that would fit ZuriHac.

Hey Michal,

that's great. Is there a topic you would like to give a talk about, or a pet peeve task that you'd like to tick off with the help of new potential contributors in a hacking session?

Other topics that might be nice and that you might know about are "How do I add a new primop to GHC", handling all the way from the call on the Haskell side to emitting the code, or (if I remember that correctly) checking out that issue that GHC doesn't do certain optimisations yet (such as emitting less-than-full-word instructions e.g. for adding two Word8s, or lack of some strength reductions as in [1]).

> You've mentioned performance regression tests - maybe we could also work on improving nofib?

For sure!
Shall we run a hacking session together where we let attendees work on both performance regression tests and nofib? It seems these two fit well together.

Niklas

[1]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23315001/maximizing-haskell-loop-performance-with-ghc/23322255#23322255