Question about indirectees of BLACKHOLE closures

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:18:33 UTC 2018

Thanks Simon, that's really helpful.

A few more questions:

As far as I understand the difference between

- BLACKHOLE pointing to a TSO
- BLACKHOLE pointing to a BLOCKING_QUEUE

is that in the former we don't yet have any threads blocked by the BLACKHOLE
whereas in the latter we have and the blocking queue holds all those blocked
threads. Did I get this right?

Secondly, can a BLACKHOLE point to a THUNK? I'd expect no, because we BLACKHOLE
a closure when we're done evaluating it (assuming no eager blackholing), and
evaluation usually happens up to WHNF.

Thanks,

Ömer