Interested to help with error messages

Siddharth Bhat siddu.druid at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 11:14:51 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Thanks for all the work that's put into GHC :)

I've tried to get into GHC development before, but I was unsuccessful,
mostly because I didn't dedicate enough time to understanding the problem
at hand & exploring the codebase.

I'd like to give it another shot. This time, I think I have a clear vision
of what I want to help with: Have haskell's error messages be easier to
read and understand.

1. Colors and layout to highlight important parts of the error messages
2. Clear formatting & naming of errors, so they're easily googleable,
stack-overflow able, etc.
3. better hints with error messages, and perhaps integrated lints(?).
4. I don't know if this is already possible, but allowing GHC errors to be
shipped off as JSON or something to interested tooling.

I saw this ticket on trac: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8809
I would like to take this up, but I'd like help / pointers and stuff. I
have GHC setup, I know how to use phabricator, but.. where do I start? :)

Thanks,
S~iddharth

--
Sending this from my phone, please excuse any typos!