How, precisely, can we improve?

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 07:46:18 UTC 2016

Just a remark from my side: The documentation/tooling landscape is a bit
more fragmented than it needs to be IMHO. More concretely:

   * We currently have *3* wikis:

        https://wiki.haskell.org/Haskell
        https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc
        https://phabricator.haskell.org/w/

     It's clear to me that they have different emphases and different
origins, but in the end this results in valuable information being
scattered around. Wikis in general are already quite hard to navigate (due
to their inherent chaotic "structure"), so having 3 of them makes things
even worse. It would be great to have *the* single Haskell Wiki directly on
haskell.org in an easily reachable place.

   * To be an active Haskell community member, you need quite a few
different logins: Some for the Wikis mentioned above, one for Hackage,
another one for Phabricator, perhaps an SSH key here and there...
Phabricator is a notable exception: It accepts your GitHub/Google+/...
logins. It would be great if the other parts of the Haskell ecosystem
accepted those kinds of logins, too.

   * https://haskell-lang.org/ has great stuff on it, but its relationship
to haskell.org is unclear to me. Their "documentation" sub-pages look
extremely similar, but haskell-lang.org has various (great!) tutorials and
a nice overview of common libraries on it. From an external POV it seems to
me that haskell-lang.org should be seamlessly integrated into haskell.org,
i.e. merged into it. Having an endless sea of links on haskell.org is not
the same as having content nicely integrated into it, sorted by topic, etc.

All those points are not show-stoppers for people trying to be more active
in the Haskell community, but nevertheless they make things harder than
they need to be, so I fear we lose people quite early. To draw an analogy:
As probably everybody who actively monitors their web shop/customer site
knows, even seemlingy small things moves customers totally away from your
site. One unclear payment form? The vast majority of your potential
customers aborts the purchase immediately and forever. One confusing
interstitial web page? Say goodbye to lots of people. One hard-to-find
button/link? A forced login/new account? => Commercial disaster, etc. etc.

Furthermore, I'm quite aware of the technical/social difficulties of my
proposals, but that shouldn't let us stop trying to improve...

Cheers,
   S.