Status of "Improved LLVM backend"

Michal Terepeta michal.terepeta at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 19:14:20 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I was wondering what’s the current status of the “Improved LLVM backend”
project
( https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ImprovedLLVMBackend ). The page
mentions a
few main problems, but some seem to be already fixed:
1) Using/supporting only one version of LLVM.
   This has been done AFAIK.
2) Prebuilt binaries to be shipped together with GHC.
   I can't find anything about this. Is there a ticket? Has there been any
   progress on this?
3) Adding support for split-objs
   I found a ticket about it: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8300
   which was closed as WONTFIX in favor of split-sections. So I guess this
can
   also be considered as done.
4) Figuring out what LLVM optimizations are useful.
   Again, I can seem to find anything here. Has anyone looked at this?
   I only found an issue about this:

The page also mentions that the generated IR could be improved in many
cases,
but it doesn't link to any tickets or discussions. Is there something I
could
read to better understand what are the main problems?
The only thing I can recall is that proc point splitting is likely to cause
issues for LLVM's ability to optimize the code. (but I only found a couple
of email
threads about this but couldn't find any follow-ups)

Thanks,
Michal