Serialized module

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:01:41 UTC 2016

As part of the recent Remote GHCi changes, I moved the module Serialized
from the ghc package to ghc-boot.  This is because it is shared by the ghci
package and ghc itself.  The only way to arrange that it was available to
both ghc in stage1 and the ghci package (which is not a dependency of the
stage1 ghc), was to put it in ghc-boot.

Unfortunately this introduces some breakage because some external code
import Serialized.  I just ran across hint which fails to compile.

I can fix this by re-introducing a Serialized module that re-exports module
GHC.Serialized.  But is that the right thing to do?  Serialized is also
re-exported by GhcPlugins.  Should we be asking people to import that
instead?