Unlifted data types

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 9 12:28:01 UTC 2015

I like your suggestion!

I think it'd be better to have

TYPE :: TypeShape -> *

data TypeShape = Unboxed | Boxed Levity
data Levity = Lifted | Unlifted

Now the awkward "unboxed/lifted" combination doesn't arise.

Now, 'error' is "TypeShape-polymorphic":
  error :: forall (ts :: TypeShape) (a :: TYPE ts). String -> a

What functions (if any) are "Levity-polymorphic". That is, they have identical code regardless of whether their (boxed) type args are lifted or unlifted?  Answer: data constructors. As Richard says
  Cons :: forall (v1::Levity) (v2::Levity) (a::TYPE (Boxed v1)).
          a -> List v1 v2 a -> List v1 v2 a

Why can it be levity-polymorphic? Because data constructors guarantee to construct no intermediate values (which they would be unsure whether or not to evaluate).

Typically, though, functions over lists would not be levity-polymorphic, for reasons previously discussed.

The awkward spot is the runtime system.  Currently it goes to some lengths to ensure that it never introduces an indirection for a boxed-but-unlifted type.  Simon Marlow would know exactly where.  So I suspect that we WOULD need two versions of each (levity-polymorphic) data constructor, alas.  And we'd need to know which version to use at every call site, which means the code would need to be levity-monomorphic.  So we really would get very little levity polymorphism ineed.  I think.

All this fits nicely with Dan Doel's point about making ! a first class type constructor.

Simon

|  > type StrictList a = Force (StrictList' a) data StrictList' a = Nil |
|  > Cons !a (StrictList a)
|  >
|  > mapStrict :: (a -> b) -> StrictList a -> StrictList b mapStrict f xs
|  =
|  > mapStrict' f (suspend xs)
|  >
|  > mapStrict' :: (a -> b) -> StrictList' a -> StrictList' b mapStrict'
|  > Nil = Nil mapStrict' f (Cons x xs) = Cons (f x) (mapStrict f xs)
|  >
|  >
|  > That doesn't look terribly convenient.
|  >
|  > | ensure that threads don't simply
|  > |  pass thunks between each other. But, if you have unlifted types,
|  > | then  you can have:
|  > |
|  > |      data UMVar (a :: Unlifted)
|  > |