Unlifted data types

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 03:53:25 UTC 2015

The idea of treating !S as a subtype of S and then relying on the potential
for new impredicativity machinery to let us just talk about how !S <= S
makes me really happy.

data Nat = Z | S !Nat

Pattern matching on S could give back the tighter type !Nat rather than Nat
for the argument, and if we ever have to show that to a user, the
'approximation' machinery would show it to users as Nat, concealing this
implementation detail. Similarly matching with an as-pattern as part of a
pattern that evaluates could do the same.

The constructor is a bit messier. It should really give back S :: Nat ->
Nat as what the constructor should behave as rather than S :: !Nat -> Nat,
because this will match existing behavior. Then the exposed constructor
would force the argument before storing it away, just like we do today and
we could recover via a sort of peephole optimization the elimination of the
jump into the closure to evaluate when it is fed something known to be of
type !Nat by some kind of "case/(!)-coercion" rule in the optimizer.

I'm partial to those parts of the idea and think it works pretty well.

I'm not sure how well it mixes with all the other discussions on levity
polymorphism though. Notably: Trying to get to having !Nat live in an
Unlifted kind, while Nat has a different kind seems likely to cause all
sorts of headaches. =/

-Edward