ok to do reformatting commits?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 25 03:23:05 UTC 2015

Thanks for volunteering to do this work, but I'm afraid now is a terrible time to do it. I know of three significant patches that are about to be committed, and your reformatting would cause quite a few merge conflicts. If there is a lull between a feature freeze and a ghc-8.0 fork, that would be the ideal time, to my mind.

That said, I remain unconvinced that a rigid commitment to 80-char lines is in our best interest. My personal vote is to continue to have 80 characters as a guideline but to keep the current practice of allowing programmer discretion.

Richard