[ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Nov 2 20:48:01 UTC 2015

Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 02.11.2015, 13:21 -0500 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
>> Personally, I would love delaying announcements such as these until
>> binaries are available, at least for Linux, Mac, and Windows.
>
> it’s a release candidate, announced on the developer mailing list.
> Isn’t such a mail a requirement for those wo build the various binaries
> to get active in the first place? Or is all done by Ben these days.

The Windows and Linux builds are done by me. The Mac situation is a bit
more complicated as neither Austin nor I have access to an OS X machine.
We are working on getting access to such a machine, but this takes time.

Ideally, the first-tier platforms are supposed[1] to have a sponsor who
is able to work with us to produce the builds and keep track of
platform-specific issues. Sadly OS X has lacked such a person for some
time. We've perhaps not broadcast the need for such a person loudly
enough which is largely my fault. Regardless, it would be extremely
helpful if someone familiar with OS X could step up to fill this role.

To be clear, we certainly won't be cutting a 7.10.3 release until we
know that the release candidate has been adequately tested on OS X.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Platforms