New release of GHC 7.8 to support OS X El Capitan

Oleg Grenrus oleg.grenrus at iki.fi
Fri Jul 17 05:19:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

first some background: there is an issue with having Haskell on the next OS X “El Capitan”: [1] caused by security updates in the operating system.
The cause is too old `unix` package, the same issue as in [2]

Could someone verify that my understanding of the issue is correct, i.e. how Cabal-the-tool and Cabal-the-library interoperate.

For me it seems, that one of the easiest ways to fix the issue (for the users), is to have a new release in 7.8 branch, with updated `unix` dependency.
Or is it there too might hassle to be possible?

Related issues: [3] [4]

[1] https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/2653 <https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/2653>
[2] https://github.com/haskell/unix/pull/18 <https://github.com/haskell/unix/pull/18>
[3] https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/563 <https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/563>
[4] https://github.com/ghcformacosx/ghc-dot-app/issues/39#issuecomment-122088535 <https://github.com/ghcformacosx/ghc-dot-app/issues/39#issuecomment-122088535>

Greetings,
Oleg

P.S. hopefully Windows 10 doesn’t pose similar surprises.