Backporting srcLoc to the GHC 7.10 branch

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Wed Jul 15 09:41:47 UTC 2015

Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
> We had a small pow-wow over here. We're already providing relevant
> customers with a custom-built GHC, and only using this feature internally
> to their codebases, so it's not a necessity to get this into upstream GHC
> 7.10. It would be nice if the library ecosystem could start to add in
> support for this feature, but on the other hand having it out in the wild
> ties everyone's hands with improving the feature before the 7.12 release.
>
> So put FP Complete down as somewhat ambivalent on whether it should go out.

Hi Michael,

We also had a pow-wow yesterday and decided that it would be fairly
harmless to merge the change for 7.10.2 (but reserve the right to
vehemently enforce the usual
no-new-features-or-interfaces-in-minor-releases policy in the future).

However, do you suppose it would be possible to run one more Stackage
build just to ensure that this (and a couple of other straggling patches
that were recently merged) doesn't break anything?

Cheers,

- Ben