Kinds of type synonym arguments

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 23:05:54 UTC 2015

Hi Richard,

Now that we have levity arguments I'm wondering if we should go ahead and
implement this. The code is already there - unboxed tuples have levity
arguments and then type arguments depend on the levity arguments, so this
works:

    λ> :k (# Int, Int# #)
    (# Int, Int# #) :: #

But this doesn't because boxed tuples are not implemented that way:

    λ> :k ( Int, Int# )

    <interactive>:1:8: error:
        • Expecting a lifted type, but ‘Int#’ is unlifted
        • In the type ‘(Int, Int#)’

The implementation looked fairly simple so I just tried to lift this
restriction (I basically merged the code that generates TyCons and DataCons for
unboxed and boxed tuples in WiredInTys), but some other parts of the compiler
started to panic. Should I investigate this further or are there any problems
with this that we need to solve first?

If there's a problem with this I think we should at least add a NOTE in
TysWiredIn. Note [Unboxed tuple levity vars] explains how levity vars are used
in unboxed tuples, but there's no comments or notes about why we don't do the
same for boxed tuples.

Also, I was wondering if OpenKind is deprecated now. Can I assume that levity
arguments do that work now and we no longer need OpenKind?

Thanks