The GHC 8.0 feature freeze is coming

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Dec 3 14:31:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
> Luite Stegeman <stegeman at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is Simon's remote GHCi patch planned to go in before the fork? I'm still
>> working on upgrading GHCJS to work with the master branch, but I haven't
>> quite finished yet. This change would clearly require some restructuring of
>> GHCJSi and Template Haskell in GHCJS, and I'm not sure if a week is enough
>> to test the changes. Also the recent removal of boot file merging
>> reintroduces a problem with that I'm not sure can be fixed without adding a
>> new hook.
>>
> Simon, what do you think about this?
>
> I'm a bit worried that this patch is quite late and breaks users like
> Luite. Nevertheless, I am willing to hear arguments for merging.

I think this is one we're best off leaving in HEAD. It's a very large
change, and I'm a bit scared of bringing it in right at the finish
line, so to speak. I think it might be best to just get it in sometime
after the branch IMO...

>> What's the policy on adding hooks or GHC API tweaks after the freeze?
>>
> We'll need to work that out when we get to that point. It largely
> depends upon how confined and "safe" a change appears to be. That being
> said, given how much other churn has happened for this release, I don't
> think we want to be sloppy with merge discipline this time around.
>
> Austin, what do you think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Hrm. If possible I would like to avoid any breaking changes past the
first RC, which has normally been my policy... Generally it's just
easier for everyone this way and people typically don't like too many
mid-flight changes, once things are in RC-mode.

That said, if it's something game-breaking for, say, GHCJS, I'd be
open to it. But we should try to fix it ASAP, not in the middle of
February. So it would be best if we could find out what hooks or
tweaks we needed Very Soon.

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant