Extending fold/build fusion

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 21:20:46 UTC 2014

I've been looking into this a bit in the past day or so, and I feel like
some of the stuff in the repository doesn't make sense (to me, at least).

For instance, if you start examining the generated code, you'll see quirks
like, taking map as an example:

    map f xs = go xs []
      where
      go xs n = case xs of
        [] -> n
        y:ys -> f y : go ys n

In other words, the loop passes along the empty list in an argument for the
base case, which is a waste. This stems from the definition of foldrW:

    foldrW (Wrap wrap unwrap) f z0 list0 = wrap go list0 z0
      where
      go = unwrap $ \list z' -> case list of
        [] -> z'
        x:xs -> f x $ wrap go xs z'

Specifically, the z' becomes this extra threaded argument, and never
disappears. It is possible to fix this by changing the definition of foldrW
to be:

        [] -> z0

And ghc then recognizes that the z' being threaded is useless and
eliminates it. But this raises the question of why it's being threaded this
way in the first place. It seems like the types in Wrap are inappropriate
in some way, at least for the general case. But I'm not yet certain what
they should be.

There are also fusion problems with the current implementation that neither
I nor David have fully figured out yet. For instance:

    bar = map (+1) (eft 0 1000)

does not fuse, even after trying many tweaks to the definitions (due to the
eft 0 1000 being pulled out into a let for reasons we don't yet understand;
it even happens with -fno-full-laziness). However:

    bar = foldl (+) 0 (map (+1) (eft 0 1000))

fuses fully. The only way to fix the former I've yet found is making buildW
CONLIKE, but that may not be appropriate in general (probably isn't). I
have a sneaking suspicion that the strangeness mentioned in the first part
of this mail may be a contributing factor to this latter issue, too.

-- Dan