URL issue

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Oct 30 16:33:43 UTC 2014

(Resending to hit ghc-devs list.)

Yep, good point.

For those at home: this will affect you too, if you're pushing to
'ghc.haskell.org' instead of 'git.haskell.org'. Why?

Because ghc.haskell.org now uses a CDN (Content Delivery Network) to
cache and make the server a bit more responsive. But one of the
limitations of a CDN is they will not proxy your SSH access,
unfortunately. (We implemented this back on Sunday, I believe, so you
may only be seeing it now).

However, git.haskell.org remains off a CDN and will continue to do so,
meaning it will always be safe to push to via SSH.

I'll update the Git pages to reflect this.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Simon Peyton Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Herbert, Austin
>

> I was in a fairly old repo, but one I have been using daily, and pushing to
> the central repo.  The pushurl was
>
>             pushurl = ssh://git@ghc.haskell.org/ghc.git
>
> That worked two days ago, but silently hangs now.
>

> But when I finally realised that it should be “git.haskell.org” it works
> fine.
>

> So something must have changed.  I’m certain I was pushing to
> ghc.haskell.org until a couple of days ago.  Strange, and may be useful
> knowledge for others.
>

> Anyway, no problem now. But the “Repositories” pages says nothing about what
> URL to use for pushing – and it really should!  That would be worth fixing.
>

> Thanks
>

> Simon

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant