Making GHCi awesomer?

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:14:49 UTC 2014

Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:

> Christopher
>
> You are doing very cool things.  Thank you.
>
> What I’m puzzled about is this: the GHC API *is* a programmatic
> interface to GHC.  Why not just use it?

One issue that sometimes bites me when trying to compile against GHC is
that of dependencies. When compiling against GHC you are bound to use
whatever dependency versions GHC was compiled with. In some cases these
can be a bit dated which can lead to Cabal hell. I'm not really sure
what can be done about this short of making Cabal/GHC more robust
in the face of multiple dependency versions within the same build.

Cheers,

- Ben