GitHub pull requests

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:41:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Andreas Abel wrote:
> This is also the thing that worries most about arc: Squashing
> commits. Splitting commits into
>
> * things that only do whitespace changes
> * things that only add comments
> * things that only refactor
> * things that actually introduce a semantic change
>
> *is* very valuable also for the efficency of the review process.

Having separate commits also increases the chances of finding the
faulty diff with git-bisect. Also, reviewing is usually easier with
split commits, and it's simpler to provide descriptive per-commit
explanations within each commit message. That being said,
temp/fixup/backup commits should be squashed prior to submitting a
commit/patch series, and I suppose that's the rationale behind arc's
behavior.