GitHub pull requests

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Oct 5 20:44:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 05.10.2014, 19:20 +0200 schrieb Tuncer Ayaz:
> There's also the problem that Github's review system is not as
> powerful and most importantly does not preserve history like Gerrit or
> Phabricator do. Once used to it, maintainers probably won't be happy
> to lose productivity due to the simplistic review system.

I don’t think this is a reason to forbid them alltogether. We could
say:
        „We prefer submissions via Phabricator, especially for larger
        patches, but if you like, you can use GitHub as well – your
        contributions is welcome in any case.“

We are talking about small contributions and entry-barriers here, and a
for a documentation patch or similarly small contributions, we don’t
need the full power of Phabricator. When new contributors start to
engage more deeply they will not mind learning Phabricator. But they
will be much more motivated to do so when they have already successfully
contributed something.

Greetings,
Joachim

--