Feedback request for #9628 AST Annotations

Alan & Kim Zimmerman alan.zimm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:16:26 UTC 2014

   > I looked into your proposed change in more detail, and I think it is
flawed

> > because it is trying to map the annotation back to itself.
>
> Flawed because it is no better, or flawed because it won't work?

I am not sure that I understand your proposal correctly, but I interpret
the requirement
 to map the Dynamic type to the TypeRep of the constructor meaning some
kind of separate
 linkage between the Constructor and the specific annotation type.

> > In this scenario I am not sure that there is a benefit to splitting the
> > ApiAnn type into multiple separate ones.
>
> Imagine you are traversing the syntax tree and looking at each
> constructor. With your proposal you have a LetIn node in your hand.
> You now grab an annotation (which may return Nothing), then you have
> to pattern match on the annotation to check you have a AnnLetIn node.
> With my proposal you have the LetIn, then you try and grab an
> AnnLetIn, which either returns Nothing or Just, and if it returns Just
> you know you have the right thing. One less dynamic value test, so a
> bit more safety.

This is a very good reason to break it into separate types. And then the
reason
 for the Dynamic becomes clear.