mkCoreConApps vs. mkConApp

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 1 09:20:30 UTC 2014

mkConApp assumes the let/app invariant holds, and hence does not need to carry around, decompose, or test the function type.  Hence slightly more efficient.

My instinct is to make mkConApp have ASSERT checks for the let/app invariant (and indeed the function having enough (->) arrows), but under #ifdef DEBUG.  And rename it "mkLazyConApp" to stress that there's an invariant involved.

In contrast mkCoreConApp must carry round the types in order to generate a Case sometimes.

Do you feel like doing that?  (In HEAD.)  Or shall I?

Simon