Should we always inline newByteArray#?

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:39:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

After some refactoring of the StgCmmPrim, it's now possible to have both an
inline and an out-of-line (in PrimOps.cmm) version of the same primop. Very
soon (#8876) we'll have both an inline and an out-of-line version of
newByteArray#. The inline version is used when the array size is statically
known and commons up the allocation with the normal heap check.

The reason to have both versions is that we don't want to increase code
size to much (by inlining a primop which implementation is large) unless we
know that there's a benefit in doing so. However, the newByteArray#
implementation is one function call (to allocate) followed by three stores
(to the closure header). Perhaps, that's small enough to always inline? It
would save one function call for each call to newByteArray#.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether always inlining would be a good idea?

-- Johan