Changing the -package dependency resolution algorithm

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 24 15:00:58 UTC 2014

The background here is our (Edward + me) beliefs that

* The current situation is complicated, and completely un-documented

* Its functionality is not used.  The dominant modes of use are
  - Cabal: hide-all-packages and then say exactly which ones to expose
  - Users: use -package (but not -package-id etc) in very simple-minded way

So the cost/benefit ratio is extremely poor.  Better to implement something extremely simple (for the common case), relying on Cabal's super solver for planning a good solution to more complex situations.

Simon