Core-to-core transformations: current state-of-the-art?

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Tue Jul 15 09:11:02 UTC 2014

Hi devs,

I'm curious about the current state of core-to-core transformations inside GHC. I know about
following papers that cover this subject:

1. "Compilation by Transformation in Non-Strict Functional Languages", a PhD dissertation by
Santos (I assume this summarizes earlier papers by Santos and SPJ).
2. "A transformation-based optimiser for Haskell", paper by SPJ and Santos.
3. "Let-floating: moving bindings to give faster programs", paper by SPJ, Partain and Santos.
4. "Modular, Higher-Order Cardinality Analysis in Theory and Practice", paper by Sergey,
Vytiniotis and SPJ.

Is there any other work that I should be aware of? Are there transformations implemented in GHC
that were not described in any paper?

Janek

PS. I'm aware of the wiki pages that list the GHC papers.