feedback on adding CPP program / flags to ghc settings file patch please :) (it works now!)

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 17:49:16 UTC 2014

Hey all,
the patch for  augmenting the ghc settings file to help decouple CPP from
the C Compiler choice now works, on both the configure/autconf and ghc
builds and uses it correctly fronts!

It also results in removing the cRAWCPP variable from Config.hs, which I
think is a good thing! (removes a hack / potential source of cruft).

I'd love some feedback/ suggestions for this patch please.
I'd also like to thank Peter Trommler for helping me debug / fix up my
incorrect m4/autoconf component of the patch.

the point of this patch is to make it very easy to provide a GHC that by
default uses a different program for "Haskell CPP" than for compiling C
code (which can only be done currently via a wrapper script hack thats a
bit fragile, or via passing -pgmP everywhere! )

*https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8683#comment:11
<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8683#comment:11>*

thanks
-Carter