ticket for adding ARM backend to NCG?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 09:54:31 UTC 2014

On 03/01/14 08:35, Jens Petersen wrote:
> On 3 January 2014 03:10, Corey O'Connor <coreyoconnor at gmail.com
> <mailto:coreyoconnor at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     My interest is just to get involved somehow in the NCG. Starting a
>     new backend seemed reasonable only because I couldn't break
>     something that didn't exist. ;-)
>

> Well a big +1 from me for armv7 NCG.

I've been thinking about doing an ARM NCG, mainly for fun and to learn
ARM.  But in reality I'm not likely to get around to this any time soon.
  To give you an idea of the work involved, it took me around a week of
hacking to do the x86_64 NCG, and that was largely based on the existing
x86 one.

Rather than wading into an ARM NCG directly, it would pay off to first
refactor the existing NCG infrastructure to make it much easier to add
new targets, as Carter mentioned.  We should have machine descriptions
rather than the existing way that involves writing lots of
special-purpose code for each target.