CPP usage in GHC.

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Mon Aug 11 12:32:57 UTC 2014

On 08/11/14 01:27 AM, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I think assembler-with-cpp came up only as part of
> certain clang work arounds,
> it should suffice to use any GCC like  traditional mode CPP (like the
> CPPHS tool).

This is interesting, but it looks like -x assembler-with-cpp is
hard-coded into DriverPipeline.hs in doCpp function and either
assembler-with-cpp or assembler is used in runPhase as and this is
completely independent from target cpp even when configure with
--with-hs-cpp= option.

> note that the configure script tries to detect what the CPP program you
> specify using --with-hs-cpp IS, and it only has logic for modern
> GCC/Clang/CPPHS, so you should specify a suitable set of flags if you're
> picking something different (theres a flag like --with-hs-cpp-flags you
> can set explicitly)

Hmm, seeing CPPHS give me an idea about either

- prioritizing CPPHS usage, when configure detects CPPHS availability it
is then set as with --with-hs-cpp option and used as a preprocessor

or

- integrate CPPHS directly into GHC as it seems it provides some library
API.

Sidenote: builders are testing ghc binary dist installed into the
"install   dir" directory and it looks like this process of installation
completely forgot about original --with-hs-cpp option. And seeing
Solaris builder test_bindist[1] output it looks like not only
--with-hs-cpp option is forgotten but every option of original configure
run is forgotten...

Karel
[1]: http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/builders/solaris-x86-head/135/20.html