biographical profiling is broken?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 08:25:47 UTC 2014

On 07/08/2014 16:29, Ömer Sinan Ağacan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use LDV profiling features of GHC but I'm failing.
> Here's what I try:
>
> (I'm using GHC 7.8.2)
>
> * I'm compiling my app with `-prof` and I'm also using `-fprof-auto`
> just to be sure.
> * I'm running my app using `+RTS -hbdrag,void` as described in the
> docs. (https://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/prof-heap.html#biography-prof)

The flag "-hbdrag,void" says "I want to restrict the heap profile to
objects in the DRAG and VOID classes", you also need to give a flag to
say what kind of profile you want, e.g. -hc, as in the example in the docs.

> * I also tried adding more arguments like `-hc`, `-hm`, `-hr` etc. but
> I got same results.

That should work.  If not, please file a ticket.  There is a ticket open
for biographical profiling that I haven't looked at yet, but it seems to
be different to your issue: