Dynamically loading and unloading (C) object files

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 31 22:10:27 UTC 2013

> So that leads me to wonder: are there limitations that we should be
> aware of? Have I simply been lucky so far?

If you are loading Haskell code, you will need to be very careful to
make sure you load all of the dependencies as well.  There are a number
of plugins packages and a paper:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.9.7627

GHC API changes a lot, so it's easy for these packages to get bitrotted.

The upcoming release of GHC will run constructors (link-time
initializers), but will not run destructors.

There is only partial support for weak symbols. http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3333

Edward