Status update on overloaded records work?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 16 06:26:03 UTC 2013

| - (What I was hoping for but didn't get.)
|   No compiler flag to suppress creating selector functions.
|   This would have allowed records to be declared re-using the same
| name;
|   but left it entirely to the developer as to how to access them.
|   (I was trying to promote the TH and/or Lenses cottage industries.)

This is an petty orthogonal design request, which is why it wasn't part of Adam's project.

However I could imagine some pretty puzzled users. ("I imported module M, which defines a type T with field f, but GHC says 'f is not in scope'".  Turns out that M was compiled (via a command-line option) with -XNoRecordSelectors.)

I don't really buy it, but I don't massively object either, if someone wants to offer a patch.