ghc-compete, a repository of fingerprints, and continuous integration

Ian Lynagh igloo
Fri Oct 11 12:15:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:59:07AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 07/10/13 22:06, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> >in the best scratch-an-itch-tradition I have created a special git
> >repository, called ?ghc-complete?, which tracks the combined state of
> >all GHC-related repositories. It uses GHC?s fingerprint utility and
> >simply tracks the change of the fingerprint file over time:
> >https://github.com/nomeata/ghc-complete
> >
> >The main use of this is to have a repo which I can enable to be
> >continuously checked by Travis (a free CI hoster). So instead of having
> >several people ask on IRC about what build or test suite failures are
> >actually not their fault, they can now simply check the travis page:
> >https://www.travis-ci.org/nomeata/ghc-complete/builds
>
> This is great.  With a bit of extra tool support for this we could
> actually do without submodules and go back to individual repos.

The reason we switched to submodules wasn't to make bisecting easier: It
was so that we can make temporary local changes to 3rd party libraries
(when changes to GHC or our libraries require them), and then jump back
to an official upstream commit without upstream needing to merge our
changes.

Thanks
Ian