HEAD vs Hackage status report

Duncan Coutts duncan
Tue Oct 1 16:17:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-30 at 08:00 -0700, Johan Tibell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr at gnu.org> wrote:
> > On 2013-09-30 at 08:26:10 +0200, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> >> Most of the breakage could be fixed by loosening the dependencies on the
> >> template-haskell and primitive packages, and here are the rest.
> >
> > Btw/fyi, as one of the new killer features of Hackage 2, incorrect
> > build-deps were supposed to be fixable easily by editing the .cabal
> > directly (e.g. by a team of devoted Hackage trustees) and thus fix-up
> > the build-deps on Hackage w/o needing to upload a full new release, but
> > see
> >
> >   https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/52
>
> Being one of those trustees and seeing the large number of failures I
> kinda doubt the viability of this approach. I for one don't feel like
> manually editiing ~200 package's descriptions manually.

I would not expect many individuals to look at all of hackage. Rather
most volunteers would focus on some subset that they're interested in.
Look at how distros manage these things. For example Gentoo has teams
who look after particular areas (e.g. the Haskell team, the php team
etc).

Also, automation (but still a human in the loop).

--
Duncan Coutts, Haskell Consultant