[GHC] #1614: Type checker does not use functional dependency to avoid ambiguity

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Sun Jan 27 01:11:34 CET 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:15:56PM +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Morabbin, what's the semantics of "bump"?   I don't know what you intend by it!

I think the intention is just to draw attention to the ticket.

By the way, thanks for looking at our old tickets! Adding a comment to a
ticket which looks like it it could now be easily closed, or where it is
unclear what the status is (as with this ticket), or where some other
easy action is needed, is very useful.

If there's a particular bug that's affecting you, then adding a comment
to it is also useful, as it helps us prioritise.

However, I think that just adding a comment like "Bump; still relevant."
such as in
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1526#comment:7
is counter-productive, as all open tickets are assumed to still be
relevant by default, so it just generates mails that people then spend
time reading and deleting.

Thanks
Ian