[GHC DevOps Group] Making GHC's fast release cadence work

Moritz Angermann moritz.angermann at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 12:36:32 UTC 2019

> Moritz has been pushing this effort further via https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/490 but it didn't make it into GHC 8.8 yet.

@John Ericson has been working on making ghc multi-target, which makes
this much easier. So I'll rebase once that work is done.
BUT: a big issue I've run into with a reinstallable lib:ghc is that it
essentially breaks anything that somehow tied to ghc: Plugins,
doctest, ... as you end up with two instances of `ghc` (one in ghc
(stock lib:ghc), the other one (reinstalled lib:ghc) in the library
you
are linking). Now I had naively hoped this could *just* work out, but
it didn't.