[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI question

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 19:27:09 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

Jonas is on holiday until Monday so his reachability is limited. Having
said that…

On 11/23/2017 06:45 PM, Ben Gamari wrote:

> Hi Jonas,
>
> I'm hoping that you can perhaps shed light on the status of this build
> [1] as the interface is a bit perplexing. All at once the interface
> suggests that:
>
>  * The build has "failed" and finished 23 minutes ago
>
>  * "There was an issue while running this container and it was rerun."
>    Note the use of past tense, perhaps
>    suggesting that the build was rerun and finished? The second sentence
>    is quite mysterious; is the "most recent run" the failed run or the
>
>  * "The most recent run is shown." Presumably this is the re-run.
>
>  * The build is still running.
>
> I honestly am not sure what I am supposed to do with information.
> It sounds as though there was an infrastructure issue on their end,
> causing the last attempted build to fail and resulting in a rerun, which
> is still ongoing. However, the email notification they sent claimed that
> there was an unexpected exit code (seemingly during the test step):

I had a ticket about this with CircleCI. They have told me after a
week-ish that it was fixed on their end and I did not see any new builds
with this problem. Perhaps it's a regression. The ticket number in their
system is 26023. Should I raise a new one or you want to?

>     ------
>     Failed
>     ------
>
>     Uh-oh, this build did not succeed!

>     ----------------
>     Failing command:
>     ----------------
>     Command: Error executing build steps
>     Exit code:  n/a
>
>     ------
>     Output
>     ------
>     Unexpected error running build task: exit status 255
>

>     -----------------------------------------
>     The rest of your commands were successful
>     -----------------------------------------
>
>       Spin up Environment
>       Checkout code
>       prepare-system
>       submodules
>       Boot
>       Configure
>       Build
>
> In general I'm a bit confused as to why they are notifying us of
> spurious build failures.
>
> Have you seen this sort of behavior before? Does the above
> interpretation sound correct? Is there any way to reduce the volume of
> notifications to *only* actual failed builds?

I'm not sure about notifications.

--
Mateusz K.