Fwd: [Fieldtrip] Lighting Patch for Fieldtrip

Ivan Tomac tomac at pacific.net.au
Wed Jan 7 12:20:49 EST 2009

Hi David,

David Sankel wrote:
> I think the concept of a light (omni/directional) goes beyond OpenGL.

Sure. As do the concepts of shadows, reflection, refraction, etc, none
of which have specialized constructs in OpenGL. You could add them which
would increase complexity. An alternative is to get rid of special cases
without losing any functionality, quite the opposite in fact. That was
hard before shaders but much easier now.
>> The lighting models are just simple functions and with shaders they are best
>> represented as such.
>>

> Perhaps you could post a haskell interface of the alternative light
> structure you have in mind. I think it'd help the discussion.

A function!

Ivan