[Fieldtrip] Re: [reactive] reactive-fieldtrip

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Tue Nov 11 14:57:34 EST 2008

Hi Eyal,

Thanks for the comments.  I'm replying on the FieldTrip list rather than on
reactive, since the issues are mostly FieldTrip issues.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Eyal Lotem <eyal.lotem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would also like to congratulate Conal and everyone else involved in
> the Reactive framework and libraries for the new release.  Amazing
> work!
>
> I have finally managed to do more than read about it, and actually toy
> with some Reactive programming :-)
> It seems great fun, and the learning curve is not as steep as it might
> seem at first.
>
> I mostly played with Test.hs inside the reactive-fieldtrip adapter,
> and I have encountered a few issues:
>
> A. It seems that when changing spinningG to scale according to time,
> it becomes extremely slow very quickly.

Probably because of the current algorithm for dynamic tessellation
(approximation by polygons).  As you scale up, a surface will get
tessellated more and more finely during rendering.  The tessellations are
cached in an efficient, infinite, pure data structure (a MemoTrie) as
they're computed.  Given your experience, I gather there's some tuning
required.

> B. The lplace demo itself is also extremely slow, whereas other demos
> seem to be fine/quick. It might be buggy, and not extremely slow, its
> taking so long to react that I am not sure what is happening.

All of the demos are *very* zippy on my machine, even with 10-20 spinning
torus pairs going.

Could you please give me particulars about your setup?  For instance:
cpu(s), graphics card, OS, and versions of opengl & glut.

C. Stylistic question/comment:
> The (Anim a) type (UI -> Behavior a) is a Reader
> Functor/Applicative/Monad.  I see it used as a Functor in various
> examples, but it seems that there's no use of the Applicative/Monad of
> the reader, is this intentional?
> I find it a bit awkward that it passes the "env" arg to all of the
> stuff its combining... The example even used an undefined error value
> in place of the env in some cases, suggesting that it is a burden to
> pass it around.   Why not encourage the implicit passing of the env
> everywhere via the reader Applicative?

Fixed now.  Thanks.

Regards,  - Conal