More Finaliser Trouble

Alastair Reid alastair at reid-hoffmann.net
Sun Jul 13 15:20:53 EDT 2003

> [...] doesn't answer the question of why these things have changed [...]

We dropped Haskell finalizers because neither Hugs nor NHC could implement
them and implementing them would pretty much require them to implement
preemptive concurrency (i.e., multiple threads each with their own stacks).

These issues were considered important because one goal of the ffi spec was to
improve portability between implementations and also because we explicitly
decided not to do anything that requires concurrency or other H98 extensions.

--
Alastair Reid